I was in the hospital for 14 hours before James arrived, waiting for things to get going (Inductions aren’t guaranteed to work the first time, apparently). So I had a lot of time on my hands. I joked with my husband, visited with my mom and sister, watched some tv, and just tried to stave off boredom until labor began.
Fortunately I made a playlist ahead of time and brought along my iHome speakers. The labor & delivery nurses loved it! It had an eclectic mix of songs, including every baby boy song I could find (like Danny’s Song, Tough Little Boys, etc.) in addition to some chill music that I thought might help me focus or just cheer me up.
I really wanted James to have a first song, just like I had a first song. When I was just a few hours old, my mom held the phone to my ear and my cousin sang “Joanna” by Kool and the Gang to me. (This was in the days of records, not iPods. My cousin gave me the record as a present after we got home from the hospital.) James’ first song was “Sweet Baby James” by James Taylor. Because Claire is my rainbow baby, her first song will be “You Are My Sunshine” by Elizabeth Mitchell.
So far I have 31 songs on the Baby Claire Labor & Delivery Playlist. Here they are in no particular order, with girl songs highlighted:
- You Are My Sunshine by Elizabeth Mitchell
- Isn’t She Lovely by Stevie Wonder
- Tough Little Boys by Gary Allan
- Great Is Thy Faithfulness by Avalon
- My Girl by The Temptations
- Crawdad by Elizabeth Mitchell
- Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing by Sufjan Stevens
- How Could I Ask for More by Cindy Morgan
- I Loved Her First by Heartland
- Fire and Rain by James Taylor
- Jubilee by Elizabeth Mitchell
- Wholly Yours by David Crowder Band
- Daughters by John Mayer
- How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You) by James Taylor
- Peace Like a River by Elizabeth Mitchell
- It Did by Brad Paisley
- Wonderful, Merciful Savior by Selah
- She’s Everything by Brad Paisley
- Untitled Hymn (Come to Jesus) by Chris Rice
- More by Harry Connick, Jr.
- Sweet Baby James by James Taylor
- You Are the Sunshine of My Life by Stevie Wonder
- Little Wing by Elizabeth Mitchell
- Something That We Do by Clint Black
- Unforgettable by Nat King Cole & Natalie Cole
- His Eye is On the Sparrow by Kate Conlon
- Have I Told You Lately by Rod Stewart
- Be Thou My Vision by Selah
- For Once in My Life by Stevie Wonder
- You’ve Got a Friend by James Taylor
- Before the Throne by Shane & Shane
Daddy/baby girl songs are much easier to come by than baby boy songs, but I still feel like I am missing some. What would you add to this list? What songs were on your baby playlist?